LGBT History UK:Community portal
Welcome to the community portal. This is the place to find out what is happening on the LGBT History Project Wiki. Learn what tasks need to be done and what groups there are to join, and share news about recent events or current activities taking place on Wikipedia.
Please start entering any articles you feel able you can write or start, or go to WantedPages where there are links to articles that need writing. Please report any problems to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This wiki was created in June 2011. It was upgraded to mediawiki-1.17.0 on 5 November 2011, and to mediawiki-1.20.2 on 16 February 2013.
Two templates were added during August 2012:
- Template:Stub adds a stub message and a puts the article into Category:Stubs, which has been introduced to list articles that have been started, but have scope for considerably more work.
- Template:Disambig adds a disambiguation message and logo and puts the article into the Category:Disambiguation pages.
Some additional templates were added during September 2012, to facilitate the clickable maps of the various countries of the UK. These templates are based on templates used on Wikipedia.
In October 2012 we joined WikiIndex - see our page there at http://wikiindex.org/LGBT_History_UK. You'll see we've got a wikiFactor of 5, in other words there are at least 5 articles (as shown on Special:PopularPages) that have been viewed at least 5,000 times, and our status has been independently upgraded to "vibrant" (the top category). We also now have a WikiNode - a way of linking to other "neighbour" Wikis. We've also joined the LGBT Free Media Collective, and have started contributing photographs to Wikimedia Commons as part of that project - see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Files_from_the_LGBT_UK_History_Project.
We now have articles for:
- all 71 cities in the UK (including 2 former cities)
- every town with a population over 100,000
- every town in the UK that had a CHE group
- every county (shire counties, ceremonial counties, metropolitan counties, plus some former counties); every ceremonial county containing more than one local government district or unitary authority now has a map (completed 25 March 2013).
- every London Borough
- every unitary authority (completed 10 March 2013)
- every metropolitan borough (completed 12 March 2013)
- a selection of lower-level districts, localities, etc
- every former region
- all 32 current local government areas
- Northern Ireland:
- every historic county (the "six counties")
- every preserved county
- every current local government area
- the Isle of Man
- the Bailiwick of Jersey
- the Bailiwick of Guernsey (including Alderney and Sark)
Wherever possible, the article about each place includes at least some information about LGBT connections. However there are a small number of Districts with no LGBT History. Assistance with finding information about these would be very welcome.
This project has been selected for archiving by the UK Web Archive - see http://www.webarchive.org.uk/ukwa/target/66158869 - the first snapshot dated 22 October 2012 has now appeared on the UKWA site and further snapshots will appear from time to time. We're also getting picked up by the Internet Archive which has captured snapshots at odd times since November 2011.
The following things need to be checked on a regular basis:
- Uncategorised pages: every article should belong to at least one category; in turn, each category (except Category:Main categories) should belong to at least one other category.
- Dead-end pages and Orphaned pages: these can never be eliminated altogether, but should be kept to a minimum – for instance to under 50 pages each so they can all be viewed on the first page of the listing
- language expressing a particular point of view: "we", "us", "sadly", "fortunately", ... Articles containing such expressions are likely to need more thorough reviewing, not just removing the words in question.
- language that will date: "this year", "last year", "recently", "currently", ...
- articles lacking illustrations (there are lots of these) – see LGBT History UK:Photographs.
Cite Extension: the extension for adding refences (footnotes/citations) has been added. See example of use on the page "Capital Gay".
TitleBlackList: to help combat spam and vandalism, the extension for blocking titles has not been added.
CheckUser: I installed this – but don’t think this has taken.
Please email me to let me know what extensions you would like installed. And also any ideas to prevent spam.
The Timeline of UK LGBT History was added in October 2011. The aim is to have entries for all the most significant events in UK LGBT History from the earliest times. Each entry should include a link to the article which deals with the event or person in more detail. For earlier centuries, each article should ideally have an entry in the Timeline, but we may have to be a bit more selective from say 1960 onwards.
The MySQL database is being backed up regularly.